Thursday, September 18, 2014

Shopping in Missouri

I just recently returned from a nice ten day visit with my mother in Kansas City. Oh, how I miss my mom! She was kind enough to indulge my need to go to my favorite antiquing town, Greenwood, Missouri, so I could shop for things I don't need...hee hee. I brought an empty suitcase, just in case I found a few small treasures to bring home with me. 

It was just the right time of year to visit, as one of the shops, Greenwood Mercantile, was all decked out with Halloween displays.





If this white cabinet could have fit in my suitcase, I would have taken it home with me!






There is also a wonderful area in Greenwood Mercantile that has bountiful stacks of beautiful hand dyed wool.  Heaven!


Here is one of the little goodies I did bring home with me, this wonderful heart shaped make-do, found in the wool area above. I love hand crafted art!



I also paid a visit to a few quilt shops in Missouri. Our first stop was Quilter's Station in Lee's Summit. Here I am in front:

Quilter's Station, Lee's Summit, Missouri




 And here I am inside with Rita, owner of Quilter's Station. They have the BEST selection that I've found of woven plaids and stripes, and if I remember right, she said they have 16,000 bolts of fabric to choose from. Again, heaven!


Quilter's Station also has kits for two of my patterns, Broomstick Hollow and Pumpkin Party:


Broomstick Hollow at Quilter's Station
Pumpkin Party at Quilter's Station

Our next stop was Missouri Star Quilt Company, which, I learned, is actually a series of 4 or 5 different shops, each with a different theme, in the town of Hamilton, Missouri. It was a beautiful day, with fluffy white clouds - here is picture of main street, which is lined with all things Missouri Star Quilt Company.

Main Street Hamilton, Missouri

One of the Missouri Star Quilt Shops is devoted to reproduction fabrics, and with permission, I was allowed to photograph this wonderful redwork quilt, which hangs in the shop.

Caldwell County Subscription Quilt c. 1890



 
I think the design of this quilt is just so wonderful - the way the lines of embroidered names are oriented, and interspersed with botanical images.

Until next time,

Martha


No comments:

Post a Comment